Greek Ribs John Kass Style
- 2 slabs of ribs, silver skin removed from the bone side.
- zest of two Lemons
- juice of two lemons
- 6 large cloves of garlic, pressed or fine mince
- 2 T. fresh ground black pepper (John stresses “fresh ground”)
- 2 T. dried Oregano, rubbed between the palms of your hand to release their flavor
- 2 T. Kosher or Sea Salt
- 2 T. plus 1/4 C. (divided) Koroneiki or Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Crete
- 1/2 C. Cranberry Juice
- 4 fresh lemons cut in half
Mix all the ingredients, except the last 4 lemons, the 1/4 cup of EVOO and the Cranberry juice in a bowl and stir well. Make a mixture of the 1/4 cup olive oil and cranberry juice, mix well and set aside. Mix again later before applying to the ribs.
Put the ribs in a non-reactive pan, a stainless steel roasting pan is perfect. Work the marinade into both sides of the ribs. John like them covered, so if you need more, make more.
Refrigerate for 4 or 5 hours, then remove and allow to come up to room temperature.
Place ribs in the smoker and cook for 2 hours, then sprinkle the ribs, both sides, with the olive oil, cranberry mixture, and continue smoking for a minimum of 1 1/2 hours, for 3 1/2 hours total.
Just before the ribs are done, grill the 4 sliced lemons cut side down till just starting to char, don’t burn. When serving, squeeze the lemons over the ribs.