Roasted Acorn Squash with Sausage Stuffing and Balsamic Glaze
- 2 Acorn squash cut in half, seeds and strings scooped out
- 2 T. The Olive Tap’s 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. ground Italian sausage (chicken Italian sausage works great as well)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. riced cauliflower
- 1 C. shredded sweet potato
- 1/4 C. dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 T. chopped, fresh parsley
- 1-2 T. The Olive Tap’s Cranberry Walnut Riserva Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 C. crumbled feta cheese, or shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
To roast the Acorn Squash:
Place cut and cleaned squash skin side down in a shallow pan. Add water to cover bottom, cover loosely with foil, and roast at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. When done, and slightly cool, dump all liquid and dry squash with a paper towel so they are not watery. Set aside.
To make Sausage Stuffing:
In a large saute pan heat 2 T. EVOO. Add chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned. Add Italian Sausage and cook until no longer pink. Add cauliflower, sweet potato, parsley, and dried cranberries, and cook all until lightly golden and combined. Season with salt and pepper if needed to taste.
To assemble Stuffed Acorn Squash:
Brush the inside of each squash half liberally with Cranberry Walnut Balsamic Vinegar. Season lightly with salt. Stuff each half with sausage stuffing, and top with crumbled feta or shredded cheddar cheese. Place in baking pan, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. When done the tops will be nicely golden brown.
If desired, serve with an extra drizzle of balsamic.
An Olive Tap Original Recipe by Melanie, Long Grove