Carolina Kale Greens with Sweet Potatoes and Bacon Dressing
For the Bacon and Wilted Greens:
- 6-7 slices of bacon
- 1/3 C. water
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ medallions
- 2 lbs. kale greens, washed (to remove any sand as it tends to get caught in these curly leaves) and dried thoroughly (to minimize spatter when placing in hot oil). Lay the leaves onto paper towels to absorb the excess water.
- 2-3 T. of a 50/50 Blend of The Olive Tap’s Smoky Bacon Olive Oil and Sorrento Orange Olive Oil
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 oz. (1/4 C.) 50/50 Blend of Smoky Bacon Olive Oil and Sorrento Orange Olive Oil
- 2 oz. (1/4 C.) Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Bacon & Wilted Kale Greens:
Place bacon in a cold cast iron skillet along with water (yes, water helps crisp up the bacon). Turn pan on high and when bacon starts cooking turn stove top down to medium. Continue to cook until crisp.
In the meantime shred the cleaned kale greens with a knife into ribbons and set aside. Remove crispy bacon from pan to drain on a paper towel.
Raise the heat to medium high and add the sweet potato medallions in the hot pan of bacon grease. Make sure each potato cubes brown up nicely but does not burn. Remove from pan to drain on paper towel.
Add 2-3 T. of Smoky Bacon Olive Oil and Sorrento Orange Olive Oil blend to the warm pan and add the cleaned dried greens. Turn them over and over with a pair of tongs until they are slightly wilted, then remove from pan onto a platter lined with paper towel to remove any excess oil.
Next step is to make the dressing, below.
For the Warm Vinaigrette Dressing:
3 T. Dijon mustard
2 oz. (1/4 C.) 50/50 Blend of Smoky Bacon Olive Oil and Sorrento Orange Olive Oil
2 oz. (1/4 C.) Apple Cider Vinegar
Raise heat to medium high and add 2 tablespoons of Sorrento Orange Olive Oil to warm pan. Then whisk in the Dijon mustard. Next take the 2 ounce (1/4 cup) 50/50 blend of Smoky Bacon Olive Oil and Sorrento Orange Olive Oil with the 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of Apple Cider Vinegar and place it in a jar or container, season with salt and pepper and shake until blended. Add to the pan and whisk until emulsified.
Place sweet potato medallions on top of shredded kale greens then drizzle on the warm dressing, garnish with crisp bacon crumbles and serve immediately.
Recipe is property of Eclectic Personal Chef, LLC created specifically for The Olive Tap Charlotte, North Carolina.