Sugo di Parma-Parma Style Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb. very ripe fresh tomatoes put through a small hole food mill, or a 1 lb. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 T. good tomato paste. Buy the tube of tomato paste, and you can use it for a longer period of time.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine diced, not minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional ingredient)
- 1 or 2 T. The Olive Tap’s Italiano Olive Oil or other fruity 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste. The acidity in tomatoes really reduces the need for salt. If you do add salt, be stingy.
Heat your saucepan on a medium setting for a minute or two, and then add the olive oil. After 30 seconds add the onion, and stir for 1 minute until it starts to turn translucent. If using, add the garlic, and stir for an additional 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and basil. Maintain medium heat for an additional 5 minutes, stirring regularly, and then reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes longer. Stir often to prevent burning the bottom of the pan.
An Olive Tap Original by Rick Petrocelly, The Olive Tap Blog, April 12, 2013