Tap’s Twist on Waldorf Salad
- 1/2 C. walnut halves
- 1/4 C. The Olive Tap’s Blood Orange Olive Oil Or French Roasted Walnut Oil
- 1/4 C. The Olive Tap’s Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar (plus 2-3 T for drizzling plates)
- 1 t. honey
- 1 T. orange zest, finely grated
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 large crisp apples
- 2 stalks of celery (with leaves), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick pieces (leaves chopped)
- 1/4 C. dried cranberries
- 1/2 C. mini marshmallows (1/4 c. to mix in salad, 1/4 c. to top salad)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 head baby spinach or Boston Lettuce, trimmed, washed and patted dry
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. When cool, hand crumble the nuts up into small pieces, set aside.
Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and orange zest in a small bowl and season generously with pepper. Whisk until emulsified and set aside.
Halve, core and cut the apples into 3/4-inch pieces, leaving the skin intact. In a large bowl, add the apples, celery, mini marshmallows (1/4 C.) and craisins. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and then toss with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
When ready to serve, arrange the greens on 4 chilled salad plates. Scoop the salad on top of the leaves and top with walnuts and marshmallows. Drizzle salad plates with additional Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar for additional flavor impact and décor. Enjoy!
An Olive Tap Original Recipe by Jean, Long Grove