Marinated Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 1 lb .medium or large shrimp, shells on (uncooked)
- ½ C. The Olive Tap’s Sorrento Lemon, or Blood Orange Olive Oil (alternate based on juice choice below)
- 2 T. minced red onion
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 2 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T. fresh juice (orange or lemon, alternate based on oil choice above)
- 4 Bamboo skewers, soaked,
- Salt & freshly ground pepper (Seasonello a nice alternative with fresh ground pepper)
Cut along the back about ¼ inch deep through the shell of each prawn to remove the vein. Put prawns in a shallow baking dish.
In a small bowl, whisk together citrus oil, onion, garlic, cilantro, & juice. Pour over prawns, cover, & let marinate, refrigerated, 1 to 4 hours.
Preheat grill or broiler. When ready to cook, thread prawns on skewers & discard the marinade. Season shrimp with salt & pepper to your taste. Grill or broil shrimp, turning once, until just done, 2 to 3 minutes. Shrimp can be served warm or at room temperature. They are delicious, enjoy as an appetizer, on salads, pizzas, sandwiches or in sauces.
Olive Tap Culinary Note: Leaving the shells on the prawns protects them from drying out during cooking. This method works so well that we use it for preparing salads, pasta, pizza & sandwiches. Simply reduce the cooking time if they will later be cooked more, for instance, as part of a sauce or pizza topping. Peel shrimp after they come off the grill.