- 2 pounds of your choice of ground meat
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Italiano 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 fresh large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or ground buckwheat groats for a grain-free, gluten-free option
- 1/2 finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 hardboiled eggs, peeled
- 6-8 slices of thinly sliced cured ham of your choice, i.e. prosciutto, mortadella, etc
In a small skillet, sauté finely sliced onions in 3 Tablespoons of Italiano 100% EVOO over very low heat until onions are very soft.
In a large mixing bowl, combine meat, salt, pepper, garlic, breadcrumbs or buckwheat, cheese, and the onions and their olive oil. Combine well. On a shallow baking sheet, spread the meat mixture to make a flat rectangle, approximately an inch thick. Lay the thin ham slices in a single layer over the meat, covering the rectangle and leaving approximately a 1/4 inch border. Place the 3 eggs, long-ways, in the middle of the rectangle. Gently work the meat to roll the ends together, forming a log, sealing the ends together well. Bake in oven for 40 minutes at 350°.
Slice and serve with Italiano 100% EVOO blended with tomato paste.
Recipe and photo by Jennifer Thornton, Olive Oil Specialist at The Olive Tap.