Titus Farms Heirloom Tomato Salad
One of Lake County, Illinois' most famous and outstanding family farms, Titus Farms ceased commercial operation following the 2006 season. The property is now the site of the Lake County Fairgrounds. This recipe comes from our friend, Debbie Titus, and uses delicious heirloom tomatoes, onions, basil and garlic grown on their property, and sold at their farm stand and at farmers' markets.
- Several (2 or 3) heirloom tomatoes cut up into bite sized chunks, or sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ C. The Olive Tap’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil (medium to full bodied)
- 1/8 C. The Olive Tap’s Aceto Balsamico di Modena, 3 or 4 Leaf Quality
- ½ C. freshly chopped basil leaves
- Chopped sweet onion (optional)
- Fresh Mozzarella balls
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Blend oil and vinegar together until emulsified. Set aside.
On a platter layer tomatoes, basil, onion (if using), and mozzarella balls. Pour dressing over all and season with salt and pepper.